Monday, October 1, 2007

2007 Rocktoberfast Enduro

How's that old saying go?

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."

Well that pretty much describes my 2007 Enduro season. Back in May, while playing soccer in the backyard with my oldest, something went "pop" in my knee. Previous experience told me this was a torn MCL. While not as severe as a torn ACL, a torn MCL will heal on its own, it was still very painful. So I refrained from Enduro competition until it healed. My first Enduro after the injury was the Mudslinger, Where I houred-out at check 6. I rode two more Enduros, Speedsville and Newark, since the Mudslinger and finished both of them. I even trophied at Newark, but everything comes at a price.

Towards the end of Newark, my bike was running horrible. I blamed this on a clogged air filter due to all the dust. Such was not the case. My bike nearly refused to start Saturday afternoon and when I did get it running, it sounded horrible. I hoped that I could nurse it through the Rocktoberfast Enduro, but such was not the case. Around mile 18.6 the engine died and refused to start. Luckily there was a checkpoint at this location.

This week I'll be replacing the top end (piston and rings). Hopefully I can get it running for the SMOG (Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group) Ride on Saturday.

There's still two more Enduros left in the NETRA season. The Gypsy Moth on 10/14 and the Black & Blue on 10/28.

C'est La Vie!

1 comment:

tomatoe333 said...

Oof. That sucks. :-(

If the parts arrive in time, I'll be doing the clutch on the Sherpa on Saturday. Still waiting on a couple of rim strips for the wheels, but I've got the tubes and rimlocks. The tires on the bike are FUN on dirt, but pretty brutal on the pavement. I'll probably hold onto them just for shits and grins.