Sunday, October 7, 2007

2007 SMOG East Trail Ride (Part 1)

Once a year SMOG, the Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group (you really didn't think I was talking about air pollution, did you?), holds a trail ride near the town of Ravena in Upstate NY. This years trail ride was Saturday October 6th, followed by a road ride on Sunday. I've been attending the SMOG Ride since 2004. Finally I brought a camera and, instead of using it to keep paper plates from blowing away, took some photos.


See, I told you SMOG doesn't stand for pollution. Next year is the SMOG 20-year anniversary. The SMOG World Rally is planned to take place in Jonesboro, IL. Wonder if the wife will let me go?


Friday night, after rebuilding the top-end in my 2003 Gas Gas EC300, I loaded my Spanish armada into the trailer. Imagine that, three Spanish motorcycles and all three run. Left to right - 2001 Gas Gas XC300 (For Sale), 1973 Bultaco "Sherpina" 250, 2003 Gas Gas EC300.


Actually it was more like wedging all three bikes into the trailer. That's a tight fit. I hope the trailer can handle the load.

Ravena is less than an hour from my house, depending on which road you take. You know you're getting close when you see pickups and trailers full of old dirt bikes. Most caravan over from the Ravena Diner, but being a thrifty individual, I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts, grabbed a dozen and some coffee before heading over to the ride. Occasionally you'll see someone driving around in circles because they are lost.


Our destination, once again, was Dave Flach's farm outside of Ravena. Fellow CATRA and SMOG member Sponge Bob was in attendance. He brought three Spanish motorcycles as well. A Bultaco Frontera, a Montesa Cota and an Ossa Super Pioneer (not pictured). He rode all three around.


For the second year in a row my wife had something planned for that weekend, so I brought along all three of our kids (three kids, three motorcycles, coincidence?). Here Jacob is demonstrating to Lauren and Kyle the proper way to do the "Thumbs Up" Bultaco trademark (shhh, don't tell Hugh). This was Jacob's fourth SMOG Ride.

Click here for part 2.

No comments: